What do I do if I want to let a property I have seen?

Before taking the step of reserving a property, we would need to see evidence of your ability to meet an affordability of the rent. This can be calculated by multiplying the rent amount by 30. For example, if the rent is £800pcm, you would need to demonstrate income of (30 x £800.00) = £24,000 p.a.

What do I need to pay to move into a property?

You will be required to pay a holding deposit which is calculated at one week’s rent. This will then be deducted from your first month’s rent. You will also be required to pay a security deposit of five weeks rent. This will be registered with a government approved scheme. Please click here to see additional tenant default fees. 

What do I need to provide to be able to rent a property?

To pass our required criteria you will need to;

  • Pass a positive credit check
  • Have a positive employment or accountant reference
  • Have a positive previous landlord reference (if applicable)
  • Provide proof of ID
  • Provide proof of your ‘Right to Rent’ in the UK
  • Provide two proofs of your current address

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is an individual who has agreed to ‘guarantee’ the tenancy and tenant(s), this is usually a friend of family member. They are equally liable for the rental income and obligations of the tenancy and they are also required to sign the agreement to this affect. A guarantor must pass all the same referencing criteria as the tenant, in order to be accepted as a suitable guarantor. You may need a guarantor if :-

  • You have poor credit history (small previous CCJs may be accepted if a guarantor can be provided)
  • You have had previous bankruptcy
  • You are on a temporary employment contract

What is a tenancy agreement?

A tenancy agreement is a contract between a landlord and tenant. This is a legally binding document that sets out the requirements and obligations of both parties. Any negotiated and agreed upon terms must be included in the agreement prior to signing, for example, the agreed duration of the tenancy.

Is my deposit safe?

By law, your landlord or agent must register your deposit within 14 days of your tenancy starting, to a regulated tenancy deposit scheme. We will provide a certificate to show your deposit has been registered. Your deposit will be held against your tenancy and can be used most commonly for repairs of damages that have been caused to the property or rental arrears. Country and Coastal Lettings use the DPS but private landlords may use other registered schemes.

Something has broken in my property, who is responsible for fixing it?

This very much depends on the individual situation. For small issues, if you are able to simply repair them then we would expect you to do so. As long as the works do not cause any further damage. For issues you are unable to repair or large property problems please call your landlord or Country and Coastal Lettings as soon as possible. Please always call or email us with any maintenance queries.

Can I decorate or make changes to the property?

It is essential that any requests for redecoration or changes, (or even pictures going up) are put in writing to your agent or landlord. It can be very common for landlords to request the property is returned to its previous state before vacating.

Can the landlord increase my rent?

Yes. It will state in your tenancy agreement that the landlord is able to increase your rent on an annual basis between 3% and 5%.

My tenancy is ending, how can I stay in the property?

Country and Coastal Lettings will contact you approximately two months before the end of your tenancy to see if you would like to renew your contract (subject to the landlords agreement)

What happens if I want to leave the property?

Whilst you cannot legally leave your fixed term contract earlier than originally agreed, you can request to vacate the property earlier. This is subject to a landlord’s approval, and usually involves compensation for additional costs and work required to let the property early. You are also still liable for the rent and all obligations set forth in your agreement until a new tenant is found, or your fixed term agreement comes to an end, whichever is first. If your notice is given in line with your contract, you normally can give four weeks notice. (please call us if you have any queries or are unsure of your tenancy commitment)

How do I get my deposit back?

At the end of your tenancy you will be required to leave the property in a clean and tidy state, and in the same condition as it was when you moved in, according to the inventory you were provided with at move in. General wear and tear can be taken into account, relative to the length of time you have been in the property. On your last day or shortly after, once you have returned all the keys, we will carry out an inspection of the property, in comparison to the inventory. If no claims are to be made your deposit will be returned within 10 working days of the final inspection. If claims are being made against your deposit you will be notified of this, and quotes will be obtained for the required works. Once these have been received we will inform you of the cost of the claims and how much is to be returned to you. Once you confirm receipt of this information we will process the refund, which should again, reach you within ten working days.


Continue reading

Next » Register
Prev » Your Deposit

Why Choose Us

Find out why we have been so successful, helping people let their properties.

Book your free valution

Book one of our experienced experts to visit your property and evaluate its value on the market.

Or for an instant valuation:


See why people value our friendly service and professionalism

Property Search

View all properties

Latest Properties Added

Property Ombudsman
Prime Location
Client Money Protect